Thursday, April 15, 2010

Perseverance Pays Off

I've featured Jenny before with a before and after pic, but I am compelled to do it again. Why? Because Jenny exemplifies what happens when you just show up, do the work and don't quit.

 Sure, Jenny's weight loss is remarkable. It has been a bumpy hard road for her. She started with Team Survival back in June of last year.

But to me, what is more remarkable is how far she has come as an ATHLETE.

When Jenny arrived, she had debilitating exercise induced asthma. We got rid of the gluten, and the asthma all but disappeared. Jenny works hard at staying gluten free.

When Jenny arrived, she couldn't do a single sit up nor a true push up--even from the knees. And even though she regularly finished last, she still showed up.  Now she freely does push ups from the toes and sit ups are a breeze.  She is rarely the last one to finish last in the class anymore.

Although running still isn't Jenny's strength, she still has decreased her mile time from a 19:04 to a 14:11. She has also run several 5Ks.

But the coolest thing to me has been to watch her grow as a weightlifter. Jenny had a natural talent for weightlifting from the get go. She currently holds all of CrossFit Survival's female weightlifting records with a 255 lb deadlift, a 185 lb back squat, a 165 lb front squat, a 100 lb shoulder press and now a 95 lb snatch.

Jenny has found a new passion in weightlifting, and it shows!  And it happened all because she kept showing up and giving her best.

What an inspiration!

There have been quite a number of women and men who've given our program a try and who have quit within a week.  There are two things all of those folks have had in common 1) they were all very deconditioned, 2)  they all quit.

Imagine where those folks would be today if they had followed Jenny's lead and just persevered.

GREAT WORK, JENNY! CROSSFIT SURVIVAL IS PROUD TO HAVE YOU ON OUR TEAM!

Post acknowledgements and accolades in comments.

WOD
10 rounds for time:
10 Deadlifts (135/95)
10 Push Press (65/45)
from CrossFit Apex

7 comments:

  1. 5:30AM RESULTS
    *SANDRA 14:10
    *JACKIE 19:41
    *GREG 23:53
    BACHE DNF--BUT GETTING BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jenny - you are an inspiration of determination and commitment. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny...I truly envy you on your weightlifting skills...you are a remarkable super woman...great job...

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU, SHANNON and EVERYONE! I remember the first class I came to and listened to Shannon talk about the program and the process- it was love at first ache. That first month was nothing short of AGONY- what was a 260 lb woman who’s sat on her ass for the last 20-plus years doing!! I told Shannon straight out that I couldn’t run – I had asthma – I was too fat -- so Shannon immediately told me to run around the park- which pissed me off, so I did it. THANK YOU, Shannon- THIS is what I needed- someone to help me breakthrough my own bull shit. I wasn’t looking for a quick fix – I was looking for someone to help me make a lifestyle change. I’m in this for the long ‘run’

    Shannon is so obviously dedicated to this program and to helping and training (and competing!) with people that she inspires me to keep going. I’m very proud of my accomplishments and I still have a long way to go to meet my goals, but I know beyond any doubt that I will get there eventually – it might take some time, but I’m going to beat Shannon at a race eventually :) -- I can already pick her up and move her out of my way – now I just need to work on getting my mile time down….

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny,
    You rock!
    It's great working out with you and testing for max lifts -- you are sooooooo strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jenny! As soon as you can catch me, you can pick me up and move me anytime! ;) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *JACQUE 10:10
    *PRISCA 12:41
    *JENNY 12:54
    *LILY 13:11
    *ALEX 14:50
    *DAVE 20:17
    FLORA 11:59
    EMIN 13:14
    ANNA 13:30
    KARLA 16:03
    AUTUMN 16:30
    JOSE 18:49
    GINA 27:03

    ReplyDelete